Sunday, September 12, 2004

 

Congratulations To My Brother Thom!

I meant to say this on Friday, but between work and THE MOST IMPORTANT BLOGGING STORY OF 2004 (Trademark, superscripted), I forgot.

Congratulations to my brother Thom, who not only just signed a gargantuan business deal, he's also been named a VP at a major internet company known by everyone currently living with an intact brain stem.

Thom's been in the computer biz since the early 1980's, and he's has had his share of success and failure. The recent collapse of the internet bubble was pretty painful for him, but he hung in there. Then again, Thom is no stranger to adversity, as not only is he one of the few people to leave their job at Microsoft *before* becoming a multi-millionaire, I'm pretty sure he's the only one to have done so without subsequently setting himself on fire.

Hey, sometimes we miss out on the big things in life, through no fault of our own. Hell, I once missed out on getting former Chicago Bears Linebacker Otis Wilson's autograph.*

Okay, not exactly in the same league as leaving Microsoft in 1994, but it's all a matter of scale.

Anyways-- good on my brother. He'll be leaving New York City for scenic Silicon Valley shortly, which will soon give me a nice new place where Thom can buy his little brother dinner.
------

*True story: Otis Wilson was going to visit the department store where my Mom worked, and she promised to get me his autograph. A couple of days later, I got a big 8x10 glossy photo of Wilson with an autograph that looked remarkably like a fifty-year old white woman's handwriting. Turns out Mom couldn't get the autograph, but she still wanted me to be happy, so she committed felony forgery on my behalf. Aren't mothers great? They'll make your bed, kiss your busted knee, and even plot the assassination of national political figures for you.

Comments:
Here's my almost story: I was assigned to go to the White House Comm Agency in mid '92, but got out of the Air Force instead. Imagine all of the good stuff I could have learned hanging out with Bill and Al for 3-4 years?
 
Ha ha ha-- I know an AF guy who worked at WHCA during the second term. I'm still sworn to secrecy about his office gossip :-)

Although, it wasn't as bad as some people imagine.

Cheers.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?