Sunday, September 05, 2004

 

Viva Che!

Speaking of movies, in the lobby of the artsy theater where I went to see We Don't Live Here Anymore there was a cardboard standee advertising the upcoming film The Motorcycle Diaries, a biopic showing Ernesto "Che" Guevara's pre-revolutionary years. I first saw the trailer a few weeks back, and it looks like a very scenic and emotional film following Che and a friend as they take a 7,000 mile motorcycle road trip across South America, circa 1952. As he encounters staggering poverty and injustice along the way, Che's social consciousness begins to emerge. All this is summarized in the tagline for the film: "Let the world change you... and you can change the world."



If I had one complaint, it would be that it's too bad the film limits its scope to Che's early years. I'd sure love to see a scene like this up on the big screen:

I ended the problem giving him a shot with a .32 pistol in the right side of the brain, with exit orifice in the right temporal. He gasped for a little while and was dead. Upon proceeding to remove his belongings I couldn't get off the watch tied by a chain to his belt, and then he told me in a steady voice farther away than fear: "Yank it off, boy, what does it matter..." I did so and his possessions were now mine.
(Che describing his execution of peasant who informed on Cuban rebels, as excerpted from Jon Lee Anderson's Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life)

Comments:
in the tattoo saids june and is may when he was born.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?