Thursday, October 28, 2004

 

That terror tape? Authenticated.

That's what Drudge is reporting.

See my earlier story here.

I'm not too worried. The tape may be real, but the CIA & FBI thinks it's old. Thus, it may have been "overcome by events," as we say in government work.

If it's an old tape, the plot it alludes to may not be anything but bluster. Or, even if on the very slim chance the tape *is* talking about a real attack, some or all of the participants in the planning of the operation may have been killed or captured since then, rendering it impossible for the bad guys to carry out their plan.

I mean, why publicize an attack in the summer that you're not carrying out until the fall? Why publicize an attack at all? Methinks this is likely just bluster and ranting.

Then again, if in the next week, I'm reduced to a charred cinder, or I start to bleed out from every orifice, I guess I should've been worried, eh?

Well, if that happens, as Tom Eckert told his boys from behind the fence-- don't cry for me.

AVENGE ME!!!

Comments:
Don't worry, for every time you die, I will kill terrorists.

It's down to the wire. You make some good points, but that doesn't change the fact that terrorists will try to attack if at all possible. The "summer threat" could easily be postponed, it seems to me.

Here's the obnoxious thing: because no attack has happened on U.S. soil since 9/11, it's an exaggerated threat and fear-mongering. If they do manage to attack, it will be because Bush underestimated the threat and has more blood on his hands.

You just can't win.
 
Then again, if in the next week, I'm reduced to a charred cinder, or I start to bleed out from every orifice, I guess I should've been worried, eh? You got some stones, man. It's easy for me, pontificating on Plato from the City That Killed Kennedy, to talk tough about these things. It's quite a bit harder for someone in your position, so...kudos.

Incidentally...next week I introduce my university-level Phil of Religion class to the glories of Islamic Radicalism. How many of the sixteen will get it? Maybe five.

Yes, I update my blog most infrequently. If you had to read the mid-term essays I have to read, you'd be none too enamored of the communicative ability of the written word as well.
 
Miguel--

I know what you mean. Then again, I try to teach military officers about navigating Washington bureaucracy. You'd think it would be better than clueless college students, but when Really Smart People don't get it, you either have to shake your head, or take the massive hit to the self-esteem that comes from knowing you can't teach jack shite.

So, I dunno-- am I working with morons, or am I failure? Neither conclusion is particularly attractive :-)

Cheers!
Dave
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?