Tuesday, November 02, 2004

 

If Kerry Wins?

Readers, I'm usually pretty pessimistic about most things. Hell, I'm a Chicago sports fan; it comes with the territory.

As much as I hope George W. Bush wins, I am coming to terms with the possibility that he may lose. After all, the polls are all over the map, so the best I can reasonably hope for in any prediction is that it's 50/50 going down to the wire.

That said, because so many states are so close, the election could end up being a fairly big win for one candidate over another, if the night goes their way. Just because all the polls are tight doesn't mean that the final electoral tally has to be as close as it was in 2000.

Anyways, given my strong feelings on the subject, how will I take a President Kerry administration?

Well. . . I geniunely don't know.

I didn't want Bill Clinton to win in 1992, and I definitely didn't want him to win in 1996. But, as disappointed as I was, it was a purely partisan disappointment. I felt that my guys were better, but hey, they lost.

I felt much more strongly in 1996 only because I had seen what happened in Somalia and North Korea and Iraq, and knew that President Clinton was singularly incapable of managing foreign policy and national security issues. But, 9/11 was still a long way off, so my queasiness stayed in the back of my mind.

In 2000, I initially flirted with John McCain, just to shake things up, only to eventually learn that he was a tremendous egomaniacal pinhead. In the end, I came around to George W. Bush as the "best of the rest." Once Bush faced off with Al Gore, it was a foregone conclusion I was voting for Bush. I liked Al Gore in 1988, and still felt respect for the man in 1992. By 2000, he was on his way to becoming the stark-raving lunatic he is today.

Nuh-uh, not voting for the stark-raving lunatic, no sirree.

I guess what I'm trying to establish is my oft-repeated comment: President John Kerry would not result in the end of the Republic. Sure, he may make the bad calls that *do* result in the end of the Republic, but so could George W. Bush. Anyways, I covered my appreciation of the only distinction that matters to me in my post "Why I am voting for George W. Bush today."

But, again, let's say Kerry wins. How will that effect me?

I'll be very sad. I'll be very sad that Michael Moore is now a legitimate voice in American politics. I'll be very sad that the media got away with what they did this year (Rathergate, Bombgate, etc.).

I'll be very worried that we'll lose a lot of good soldiers as they leave service rather than stay in the military. What soldier on the fence about staying in is going to stay in just so Kerry can dawdle in Iraq? Not too many, I fear.

I may not have much of a job. Most of the defense programs I work on benefited strongly from Secretary Rumsfeld. With him gone, they too may be gone. I don't necessarily find that a bad thing individually, but I'm afraid a Kerry Department of Defense would be substantially more radical than the Clinton DoD.

Oh well, there are other things to do in life if such comes to pass.

I worry about North Korea and Iran. They'll be off the hook for at least four more years. No matter what happens, there simply is no chance that President Kerry would use preemptive force against those nations. Which means more negotiations, all carrots and no sticks, and probable failure as Iran builds its first bomb, and North Korea builds its thirtieth.

Al Qaeda will have scored its biggest victory since 9/11, bigger than the Phillipines, bigger than Spain. It will have brought down the hated Bush.

The Iraqi people will have to vote in an election in January without knowing whether there will be American soldiers there to see them through the year. I'm sure that will have a very unpredictable impact on the outcome of the election-- if it gets held at all.

Pressure from the wacko Left on Kerry to surrender in Iraq will become unbearable. Hell, it's already starting:
"President Kerry had better bring the troops home right away. My prediction: Kerry’s roots are anti-war. He has seen the horrors of war and because of that he will avoid war unless it is absolutely necessary. Ask most vets. But don’t ask someone whose only horror was when he arrived too late for a kegger in Alabama." -- Michael Moore.
France and Germany will continue to obstruct our actions, only we'll be that much less likely to complain.

Tony Blair's government will fall in the next six months. If the Americans won't stick with the war, the British certainly won't.

Israel will do something very nasty, probably to Iran. It may not have any friends willing to go to the mat for them this time.

The inevitable Supreme Court nominations will result in a conservative's worst nightmare. Rather than being the court that says "no" to radical change, it will become a court that says "yes" to everything, no matter how ridiculous. The era of "judicial legislation" will become a permanent fixture in American governance, much to the detriment of the democracy envisioned by the Founders.

Another massive health care plan will die in Congress.

Social Security will muddle along for another four years with no changes whatsoever, just as the Baby Boomers begin to retire at my expense.

China slumbers, biding its time. With nuclear weapons.

Russia decays even more. With nuclear weapons.

Millions of Mexicans will still be crossing the border without ever running into one of Kerry's "laser eye scanners."

American Idol comes back for another season.

. . . and other horrors.

Will I live? Yeah, I'll live.

For a while, at least.

---
This posting was made on my personal computer.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Here are my predictions if Kerry wins:

(1) Lyndon Johnson syndrome. Kerry will get deeper and deeper into Iraq, whether he wants to or not.

(2) With a Democratic executive and a Republican legislature, the nastiness of this political campaign will merely get worse. The 2006 mid-term election will be very nasty.

(3) You know how everyone's running around saying that this is the most important election in their lifetime? Wait until 2008...and 2012...and 2016...
 
It will be sad if Kerry wins because we will lose the great Uniter. At a time like this we really need a President who can bring our country together, like W has done so well. Why do people hate him so much? Seriously, why?

I love how one side of your mouth said "President John Kerry would not result in the end of the Republic." But the other side, the side that spews all the diarrhea, began listing all the examples of how the republic will begin crumbling to the ground. Is that truely your pessimism speaking or are you hoping that maybe one reader will be swayed by that nonesense?
 
It will be sad if Kerry wins because we will lose the great Uniter. At a time like this we really need a President who can bring our country together, like W has done so well.

-- Yeah, you guys sure gave him a chance, didn't you?

Why do people hate him so much? Seriously, why?

-- I don't hate him. Why do *you*?

I love how one side of your mouth said "President John Kerry would not result in the end of the Republic." But the other side, the side that spews all the diarrhea, began listing all the examples of how the republic will begin crumbling to the ground.

-- Glad to know you think my political opinions equal diarrhea. Perhaps I think your political opinions equal bile?

Is that truely your pessimism speaking or are you hoping that maybe one reader will be swayed by that nonesense?

-- I know one reader who isn't.

Sigh. Stop writing in, Ranger. It's just getting tiring. Offer constructive criticsm, or just go visit the Democratic Underground.

Or just stick to the monkeys-and-baseball posts.
 
I am sure you can go back into the archives and find the comment you posted describing my views as "bile" or something equally as disgusting.

I will not stop posting. Why should I? Because I dissent? Its not like I am wearing a Kerry/Edwards tshirt at a CHENEY/bush rally. I am just a liberal imp in Massachusetts who likes to call out some of your nonesense. Sometimes I swing and miss and sometimes I get a hit. If you can't take dissent, maybe you should stop blogging. Or move to China.
 
I am sure you can go back into the archives and find the comment you posted describing my views as "bile" or something equally as disgusting.

-- No, I've never criticized *your* comments as disgusting. However, I have criticized others for disgusting comments, others who you have expressed support for in the past (such as Michael Moore).

Perhaps a small distinction, but it's important to me. I don't think you're wrong so much as misguided, or more accurately, misinformed in your opinions. Again, we can agree to disagree on this point. As we have, and will.

I will not stop posting. Why should I? Because I dissent? Its not like I am wearing a Kerry/Edwards tshirt at a CHENEY/bush rally. I am just a liberal imp in Massachusetts who likes to call out some of your nonesense. Sometimes I swing and miss and sometimes I get a hit. If you can't take dissent, maybe you should stop blogging. Or move to China.

-- Oooh, now it's defiance! DON'T LET GARFIELD RIDGE SILENCE DISSENT! Your voice deserves to be heard! Down with Aschroft and his Patriot Act!

You misinterpret the purpose of my suggestion. I can take the dissent just fine, Ranger. I can argue just fine. I am completely comfortable in making the points I make, except when I state that I'm *not* comfortable in some points I make-- i.e., I don't have all the answers, and I hope I'm honest enough to recognize when I don't.

Would you ever accuse me of being a reflexive blind zealot? Or would you accuse me of being wrong? We can debate the latter, but the former offers me no room for maneuver. If I just accept my positions on faith, reason is no defense.

My question to you is, are *your* positions based on faith, or reason?

That all said, reading my site just seems to make you unhappy, so why bother reading? Save yourself the heartache. It has nothing to with not being able to defend myself-- it's just that I'm often too busy to always pay attention to the resident crank.

I remain you humble servant,
Dave
 
I was wrong. Your "bile" description was in a personal email so the readers of GarfieldRidge were not able to enjoy the analogy. And I was apparently smart enough to not save it.

I didn't know that the purpose of the blog was to gather a bunch of jock riders to concur over and over and over. If that is the case, then I should stop responding.

Regarding "us" giving him a chance: I didn't vote for him. But he was sworn in as my president. I had no other choice but to give him a chance. The other choice, revolution, was really not up my alley.

Regarding Mr. Moore: I am not a MM jockey. I have enjoyed his satire in the past and I am glad he has forced discussions that are important and often ignored. But don't lump me in with him. He's a madman.

Faith or reason? I don't believe in faith. You look at JK's record and deduce that W will keep us safer, will make the world, the US, a better place. I look at their records and deduce JK will. Its that simple. You call me misguided, which is sad. If I didn't know better, I would think you were patronizing me.

Reading your blog does not make me unhappy and it causes no heartache. That only happens when I watch FoxNews.

Love always,
The Resident Crank

ps Still waiting for your post World Series post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?