Saturday, December 11, 2004

 

Evil Food Watch.

So, I get done with work last night, and decide to stop off for some dinner at a favorite Thai restaurant of mine.

Since I eat there fairly regularly, I try to mix up the menu choices, and sample everything they offer.

Some things are good, some things are okay, and some things are. . . traditional.

Like that Sator Shrimp on the menu.

Hey, it's got shrimp! And peppercorns! And rice! How bad can it be?

My waitress looked at me kinda funny, and asked "Yousureyouwantthis? It'sverymushy!"

(See, she's Thai, and Thai people don't know about pauses between words. That's my ethnic stereotyping of the day, I'm sticking with it).

Never one to display culinary cowardice, I said, "Yeah, sure. Let me try it!"

I get the plate of food. Big tiger shrimp, green and red peppers, spices, and lots of little green beans that look a shade or two darker than lima beans.

I find the taste not at all unpleasant; the sator beans take in a lot of the flavor of the spices. Nothing I'd order again, but I just couldn't understand my server's apprehension at my order.

Readers, if you are unfamiliar with the Sator bean, let me introduce you to it.



The common names are twisted cluster bean and stink bean. A long, flat bean with bright green seeds the size and shape of plump almonds which have a rather peculiar smell. They are an acquired taste, but are popular in southern Thailand, Burma, Malaysia and Indonesia and are sold in bunches, still in the pod, or the seeds are sold in plastic bags.
Uh, what was that?

Stink bean?

Readers, I'm not kidding you when I tell you that, more than twelve hours since I ate dinner, I can still taste the beans. Brushing, flossing, Listerine, mint chocolate chip ice cream, cold pizza, Coca-Cola, orange juice-- everything that's gone down my throat in these past twelve hours tastes like sator beans.

It's hideous, and it won't go away.

Oh, but trust me, that's not even the worst part.

After I woke up, doing my morning business, the odor of my stream of justice hit me like a bottle bomb. It was like pouring concentrated sator bean juice out of a fire hose. It was revolting.

So, the Garfield Ridge safety tip of the day? Leave the sator bean food to others; stick with the Pad Thai.


Comments:
See, this is the kind of useful info you don't get from the MSM. I now know to play it safe in the Thai menu. Though I am curious. Strange about the asparagus pee effect.

Another warning from the description you linked to suggests that there exists a habanero to trump the jalapenos you tried: "In Burma, there is a related seed, dhinyindi, which is larger and even more strongly flavoured. See NGAPI NUT."

Yikes.
 
See-Dubya:

I'm not kidding-- this stuff should be held at Fort Detrick.

My, uh, golden shout-out this morning *still* carried the stench of evil. Strongly.

It's been 36 hours.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?