Monday, December 13, 2004

 

Golden Globe Nominations.

The best thing about the Golden Globes each year is that it affords me an opportunity once a year to launch into a scathing tirade at the utter vapidity of the Golden Globes. Really, I've had hangnails I've cared about more than the Golden Globes.

It's a free dinner, vanity speeches, and meaningless awards. Like the Nobel Prizes, draped in Vera Wang.

I'm sorry, the Oscars are all that matter. If the Golden Globes are useful for anything, it's as a bellweather for the Oscar race. Even then, they're usually not terribly useful predictors of who wins and who loses that, but since everyone in Hollywood likes to talk about them, I'll offer a few comments of my own.

It's great to see Sideways with so many nods. I never wrote a review on this site, but it truly is a great film. Very funny, very accurate, with great performances. I can't recommend it enough, and I hope it gets recognized in the Oscar nods as well.

Million Dollar Baby has been getting a lot of heat before its release. I see everything with Clint Eastwood, so I'm hoping it's as good as the hype has been; Jeffrey Wells has all but annointed it as the eventual Best Picture winner.

I was also glad to see that they haven't forgotten Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind so long after its release. It's often hard for good movies opening outside of the Thanksgiving-Christmas slot to get the attention they deserve come awards season.

I'm still upset that all the critics groups this year have so far neglected to offer any nominations to the masterpiece My Baby's Daddy. Oh well.

Comments:
The million dollar baby thing looks good, I agree. Looks like "Girl Fight" with a real budget and big backing. I loved Girl Fight.

jen
 
Me, I like girl *fights*-- like Heather Locklear throwing Catherine Oxenberg into the pool on Dynasty.

Why can't Clint make THAT kind of movie? You know, with hot chicks, and hot shaving cream?

I'd pay to see that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?