Thursday, December 09, 2004

 

Movie Trailers! We Got Trailers!

At Blade III last night, had a whole slew of new trailers.

Dark Water: Jennifer Connelly in a remake of a Japanese horror film, made by the same folks who made The Ring. Looks creepy, but not very scary; the water motif doesn't make me think "ghost" so much as "get the landlord to call a plumber."

The Amityville Horror: Non-essential remake. Nice to see they still kept the flies, though.

Wedding Crashers: Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, two guys who crash weddings for fun and sexual pleasure. So what if all the funny scenes are in the trailer, I'll still be there. Plus, as an added benefit, it features my Australian redhead hottie Isla Fisher. . . in a speaking role, no less!

The New World: Terrence Malik does John Smith and Pocohantas, only for real-- The Thin Red Line meets Jamestown, 1607.

The Thin Red Line is one of those odd films, just kinda out there. When I saw it, I remember being disappointed, especially in comparison to the far-superior Saving Private Ryan, also released that year (let alone with Malick's earlier work, like Badlands).

However, Malick's film has grown on me with repeat viewings, to where I actually really appreciate what he was trying to do. The movie's hypnotic feel, the man vs. nature dynamic, and gorgeous cinematography really make it something else. Oh, and it has one of the best orchestral scores ever recorded.

It's not perfect, but I've grown to like the vibe, and for that reason I'm looking forward to The New World, even if it does star Colin "Overexposed" Farrell.
Comments:
I think the biggest problem with Thin Red Line was not so much with the movie itself, but how it was marketed to the public, and therefore the public's expectations. It really is an art film and should have been billed as such. Too many people were expecting Platoon/SPR/(Insert popular war movie here) when what it was was a beautifully shot, abstract perspective on war.
 
I agree, but while I like the movie more now, I still acknowledge its flaws, the same flaws Roger Ebert points out in his review. The actors and the director seem to be making two different kinds of films.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?