Wednesday, January 19, 2005

 

Have You Heard Of. . . INTERNET?

This news report on that new fangled invention called "INTERNET" is a Canadian Broadcasting Company report from what I can only assume is the very early 1990s. Then again, it *is* Canada, so the report could be as recent as 2002.

Whenever it was recorded, the report is so incredibly quaint, I advise you to change into a corset and a dusted wig before you watch it, in order to appreciate the full effect.

I'm not going to ruin the funniest moment in the video; just listen for the internet "expert" begin discussing the "interesting kind of restraint that you find" on the internet. After listening to him, I can only imagine how quickly he cried to his mother the first time he visited an Ain't It Cool News talkback.

Also watch for the reporter explain the complex language of. . . emoticons. Ya'd think he was dumbing down Sanskrit for the Canucks. ;-)!

My favorite moments in the video actually come near the end, when we see little snippets of praise from REAL INTERNET USERS!

It frees me to be me-- not someone inconveniencing others with my needs as a deaf person.
Thanks lady. But what about the limbless midgets in cyberspace? Who's freeing them to use the keyboard? Always thinking of yourself, you selfish deaf woman.

I can indulge my deep and abiding passion for all things Thai.
Not with Compuserve, pal. But once the web came along, his indulgence became an addiction, and at last report he was booking a Bangkok sex tour on BarelyLegalLadyBoys.com.

It has more soul than any human being I know!
Hey white bread, ever hear of James Brown? He ain't a character in your Prodigy game of Zork.

As I am often fond of saying, if the Defense Department-- and Al Gore-- ever knew what a den of depravity the internet would become, they would have cancelled the program before it ever began.

Good thing our government is stupid, eh? Eh, my Canadian friends?

INTERNET. Is there anything it can't do?


Comments:
Well as best as I can ascertain out of the video, I'd peg it as between 90-92.

1. No graphical UIs, hell, no MS Windows even in *any* of the shots even. Having toiled for The Man in 1990 launching Windows 3.0, and figuring it took about 18 to 24 months before we reached critical mass, that puts it pre-1992. Mosaic started to appear on a lot of geeks' desks in mid to late 1993, so the fact that it's missing puts it earlier.

2. The chat boards displayed include one political one about Clinton. Even if we're talking about debate in the Primaries, that is strong evidence that this wasn't
before 1990.

3. The numbers cited ("15 MILLION users!") is consistent with the range of users from C'serve, AOL, Prodigy, et al around 89-92, depending on who's you believe.

4. The relatively low-profile laser printer seen in one shot was a series that HP and Apple (based on the same engine) launched around 1991-1992.
 
Wow, Thom. Brilliant deduction.

You're like a digital Barnaby Jones.
 
Wait, I'm confused. Who is this Internet fellow, and how do I contact him? It sounds like he's full of useful information.
 
Sobek, I believe you speak into your "mouse."
 
I'd peg it as between 90-92.Actually, it has to be at least '93, since (about 2/3 of the way through) they mention the Karla Homolka trial and the controversy about how the judge-ordered ban on the publication of lurid details was circumvented on Usenet. ("Not long ago," so it was probably late '93 or early '94.)

More details at http://www.well.com/user/sjroby/afkh/-- Stumbo
 
Hello,

This post Have You Heard Of. . . INTERNET? is a great post! I've done a lot of searching for similar information related to parenting and I thought you might be interested in another site I found. This site has plenty of free information and articles about parenting. Check it out if you get a chance. I'm sure you will be able to find more information there that may help you come up with more parenting topics and ideas to write about.

Take care,
Courtney
 
John, hope all is well with your" IM" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "ADVICE" at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!
 
John, hope all is well with your" match" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "careers" or jobs at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!
 
Hi Blogger, I was just blog surfing and found you! Wow, I really like this one.
It’s such a pleasure to read your post …. Interesting! I was over at another site

looking at software

and they didn't go into as much detail as you, but nonetheless interesting.
 
Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!
 
HiBlogger ,

Have you seen the new voodoo blogger? The newest and coolest way of super online advertising

Regards,

voodoo blogger
 
Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!
 
I found your blog while surfing and noticed you are involved in a business opportunity.

I found a website the other day that offers thousands of dollars in free business building tools that might help you build your business.

Find FREE - 60,000 email leads, AutoResponder, Promo Page, Your listing in a hundreds of world directories, Your best ad on 12 Million FFAs, Self-Replicating Search Engine Program, Auto Hits Machine, eZine Success, & more!.

I'm making over $500 a day with these FREE Business Building Tools promoting my business and you can do the same promoting your business.
 
Thank you for your wonderful advice. Although I did not find admin jobs as a custom directmatch to your internet site, I did however enjoy the matching fun IM from other posts. www.directmatch4free.com
Thanks again for your friends!
 
Hi Blogger,

It is good to see you have such a great blog here.

Did you ever wonder if money making online is possible?

I can tell you there are thousands of real succesfull and working opportunities out there! And they are able to change your life!!

In fact, they have changed mine and the lifestyle of many others around the globe!

You can go from nothing to millionaire in less than a year!!

Especially for people who are serious about making money online, I would like to invite them to go and visit:

www.basedbusinesshome.org

- THE INTERNET'S LARGEST HOME BASED BUSINESS DIRECTORY -

- YOUR FREE ACCESS TO THE BEST 10,000 MONEY MAKING OPPORTUNITIES!! -

*************************************************************************

Regards,

Make money online
 
Hi Blogger,

Why would I want to give 100 people like you, F*ree access to my $97 value life changing product? Because I am launching my new product and need social proof of it's ability to make money, even for newbies to the internet.

Discover how you can make money working at home before this unique time limited promotional offer is withdrawn.

Yours in Success
Buddy
 
http://www.idesirefreedom.com/home based business for woman
***Hi, this is Paul. I found this great way of getting phone verified leads FREE.
Discover how you can use the same Million Dollar Recruiting System that I use at NO-CHARGE ,
for the first 30 days! Plus, get a FREE 23-Page Report Called:
�My Million Dollar MLM Recruiting System!�***

http://www.idesirefreedom.com/
 
Day trading! Everyone wants it, I found mine using http://www.findlaunch.com/, just do do a search for Day trading!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?