Wednesday, February 23, 2005

 

Arnold Schwarzenegger's Follies, A.K.A. Shoddy Journalism.

Before you visit this Associated Press report for a story on Governor Schwarzenegger's latest brouhaha-- this time with a number of female-heavy unions-- prepare yourself a little test.

Try to find the Schwarzenegger quotes that are making the Nurse's Union angry. How angry? This angry:

"He behaves like an arrogant patriarch with respect to women's occupations," said Rose Ann De Moro, executive director of the California Nurses Association. "Nurses, teachers, home health workers — it's vulgar how he's run roughshod over them. He's arrogant, and he's a bully."
Find that quote yet?

Oh, wait-- there are no quotes, just a single quote? And what is this arrogant, vulgar, bullying quote?

"The special interests don't like me in Sacramento because I am always kicking their butts."
Huh?

Grown women are upset over something like *this*?

I searched the rest of the story, but I found few, if any, useful facts supporting the A.P. writer's headline.

I'll give the "journalist" the benefit of the doubt, and assume that Schwarzenegger's comments, when taken in context, were much worse.

Still, if that were the case, why not *quote* all of Schwarzenegger's comments?

If all he did was brag about kicking butts, then I've got a piece of advice for those offended: stop getting your butts kicked.

Personally, I can think of a number of things Schwarzenegger could have said that would offend women more:

-- "The special interests need to stop getting their panties in a bunch."

-- "I thought nurses were supposed to be pleasant. And hot."

-- "I'm a big supporter of teachers. Didn't you see Kindergarten Cop? I scored with one."

-- "I think the nurses would get more of what they ask for if they relied on their bedside manner, if you know what I mean. Well, do you? Do you know what I mean? Bedside manner-- that means good in bed. Ha ha ha. . . I'm Austrian."

-- "I will give the nurses their pay increase if they can diagnose the problem in my pants. Here's a hint: it's not a tumor."

Yup, Ahnuld could say a whole lot worse than what he's said.

But to read the Associated Press, you would think he already had.

___
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?