Saturday, February 12, 2005

 

Brilliant Work Idea Of The Week.

So, I have a problem.

A certain program I work has been plagued with problems over the past few years, not least of which has been its repeated inability to garner strong congressional support.

The Pentagon wants it; Congress doesn't care for it. Not enough pork, I guess.

In the latest budget, the program underwent yet *another* restructure, all in an attempt to find some magical way around the complaints Congress keeps throwing at it. As part of the restructure, the program's name was changed.

Now, my first reaction every time a defense program's name is changed is cynical-- "Oh, your name is different? They're sure to like you now!"

However, I was inspired this week to suggest a way to turn this rename to our advantage.

Rather than change the name from, say, "Robert" to "Bob," I suggested a totally new name.

Hey, my program is controversial. Congress doesn't seem to like it. So, why not name the program after something *everybody* loves?

Two words: Humvee Armor.

Really, who in Congress would ever cut Humvee Armor? With the war in Iraq, it'd be political suicide! Democrats and Republicans would all be for it. So what if this program has nothing to do with Iraq; it's the thought that counts, right?

Sure, anyone with half a brain would look at the program details and realize, "Hey-- I don't think they're buying armor for Humvees with this money!" But by then, it would be too late, as most people in Washington *don't* have half a brain. You gots to leverage the opportunities where you find them.

Alas, my attempt at marketing didn't seem to get anywhere this week. I think it may have something to do with the lack of visionaries in my office.

It's so sad.

---
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?