Thursday, March 03, 2005

 

Not All Fun And Games.

People come up to me all the time and ask, "Dave, what's it like, being a minor cog in America's warbureaucracy?"

I'll tell you what it's like: it sucks, at least in the winter.

Government pay is good. Government benefits are good. Government holidays are plentiful.

Outside of that, things go downhill pretty quick. Like tonight.

After working until 8 p.m. the night before, I had to be at my desk at 0600 this morning (that's military-speak for "holy shit, that's early"). I got out of work today at a relatively early 6 pm, with the expectation that I had to be at work no later than 0730 Friday.

However, when your two-star general calls you at home (right before The O.C.!!!) and tells you to be at work at 0600 on Friday, your options go limited real quick. That's the downside about working for the military.

Sure, no one in the private sector would be likely to tell their boss off, and say "Nah, I ain't comin' in so early." Certainly not if they wanted a job the next day.

But. . . and it's a very big *BUT*. . . there is always a special level of employee intimidation reserved for senior military officers commissioned by presidential appointment. You really can't bullshit flag officers; you'd be effin' insane to even try.

A bad day in the Corps is a little different than a bad day at Initech, I'd say.

I mean, I don't like work, and I don't want to go anymore, but that Office Space line doesn't amuse Officers Of Importance.

I guess I'd have a slightly different appreciation for all the hard work if I did a job intimately connected with The War. As it stands, my job has about as much impact on the conduct of the war as Howard Dean's. Thus, it's a little hard to get motivated, and stay motivated.

Especially when my job involves translating scientist and engineer speak into plain English for people who think that that the Pentagon engages in mind control.

Hmmm. Perhaps my life really *is* like an Office Space line. I certainly have the same job as Tom Smykowski.

Sigh. . . off to bed so I can start my day bright and early, and keep the nation safe from Al Qaeda's lobbyists.

___
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?